[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

Stephen P. Schaefer sschaefer at acm.org
Mon May 26 01:07:11 EDT 2003

Brent Fox wrote:
[elided]
> If a majority of our users were asking for us to release new desktop
> packages every week, I feel certain that we would do it.  The reality is
> that most users are not asking for this.  And yes, we do feel the GPL
> makes us different from other software companies.  I think our
> commitment to the GPL is well documented.
[elided]

I'll toss in my perspective as a happy Red Hat user.  I've been dealing
with Unix for more than two decades, and my attitude to graphics is
this: equanimity and detachment.  Yes, there can be some occasional
nutrition (kstars!) in the eye candy, but the effort is usually
extravagant for the obtained result.  The number one benefit for me of a
monitor over a character cell screen is that I can get 160x50 characters
instead of 80x24.  Emacs "windows" (i.e., boxes of text) get me 80% of
what I want from a user interface.  I'm reading/composing e-mail in
Mozilla right now, but my screen consists almost entirely of boxes of
text with borders.  But the fonts? you say.  Regardless of how superbly
the fonts are rendered, the whole monitor/keyboard business is tiring in
comparison to a well printed book.  Only the interactivity and immediate
access justifies the computer.

I'm not anti-picture: pictures obviously have their place.  But what
conceivable deep tweaking of the window manager could recoup the time
spent by an individual?  (Which hasn't kept me from trying.)  That time
*is* justified if a marginal improvement is enjoyed by a wide subscriber
base, but, of course, all the subscribers have to spend the time to even
learn about the change.  Further, I don't see much work justified by
fundamental human factors measurement, as described by Jeff Raskin in
"The Humane Interface" - or by any serious alternative methodology.  As
for allowing the programmers to be productive, Red Hat's theming does
not in my experience break the functionality of individual applications.
  Moving from 7.2 to 8.0, I wasted some time finding out that I couldn't
add things to the menus.  No big deal: I could still add them to the
tool bar or to the desk top, which is sufficient, and probably more
effective anyway!  I've used lots of different desktops, and none of
them have been compelling enough to agonize over their passing.  I
haven't gotten a good return on my time customizing any of them.

For me, both Gnome and KDE applications work fine out of the Red Hat
box, as do generic X clients.  That's all I need, and I'm quite
satisfied.  I an delighted with Red Hat's GPL policies: trouble there
would make me retire my religiously worn red fedora.

All the above is from my perspective at home with my computer.  At work
it's totally cut and dried: the chip fabs demand their input come from
proprietary chip design software from vendors who in turn specify what
their software runs on.  Right now, that's only Red Hat (maybe one or
two SuSE), with a few still specifying 6.2 and most specifying 7.2.  End
of Story.  Stability is everything, and maybe late this year or sometime
next those proprietary vendors will support Advanced Workstation or
something like it.  And Red Hat is (usually) a lot better for my
employer than the other options offered: Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and
sometimes Windows NT or 2000.

	- Stephen