[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

karl thiele karlthiele at nc.rr.com
Mon May 26 01:38:02 EDT 2003

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

>On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 21:53, karl thiele wrote:
>

>>Brent Fox wrote:
>>

>>>Umm...actually, the upgrades for Red Hat Linux are free to anyone with
>>>an Internet connection.  Always have been.  And as Jeremy said, new
>>>packages are available via Rawhide but they have not been tested to the
>>>same degree as the packages in official releases.
>>>

>>I know they are free.  I can go to the rawhide download directories but
>>I see no other info at the RH site. Does not seem like there is much
>>activity with it. But I have been on the bleeding edge before, i would
>>just assume pass on that.
>>

>Not sure why you think there's not "much activity" with rawhide.  It
>contains snapshots of the packages that Red Hat is working on and is
>updated frequently, sometimes daily.  Rawhide evolves into the beta
>versions of Red Hat Linux which then evolves into a release.  If you're
>interested in learning more/being part of that process, join the mailing
>list for the public beta when the next one comes out (probably in the
>next couple of months, based on past release cycles, but these things
>are never announced).

I just did not know where to go look for information, could not find
anything on the web pages. But i figured someone like youself would
enlighten me. thanks

>There's no marketing for rawhide, only an FTP site.  If you're looking
>for marketing materials about it, you're asking the wrong question.  But
>you can still "run" rawhide by updating your system against it -- but
>when it breaks you get to keep all the pieces!
>
>Also -- if you are not a person to be on the "bleeding edge," then why
>are you so concerned about keeping up to date with the latest and
>greatest KDE packages?  As others have said, most Red Hat users, like
>me, don't want or need the latest greatest packages.  We'd prefer to
>have something that's modern and recent, but reasonably stable.  You
>can't have it both ways -- brand-new software is always buggy!

Well I tend more to follow your line, I have more experience with "all
the pieces"  than I care to and have had to more than my share of
driver/kernel debugging. No I am not interested in particular.  I just
wanted to upgrade to the latest stable version of KDE because I did not
see the advantage of moving to RH 9. I was going to but reading the
release notes, I just did not get all excited. Should I be?

-karl