[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon May 26 06:25:12 EDT 2003

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 11:47:10PM -0400, karl thiele spoke thusly:
> Well you can not see the forest for the leaves.  But monitoring the
> mailing list is tedious. Release note type documentation for packages
> would be helpful.  RH does what it can.

Please file this as a request for enhancement (RFE) at
http://bugzilla.redhat.com against the docs. This will bring it to the
attention of the appropriate people. What they choose to do with it it
outside my abilities to predict.

> Since you are a  sales engineer, what is up with rawhide? I know where
> the downloads are but I was unable to find much about rawhide at the RH
> web site. Another side question. What % of your customers run KDE? A
> ball park answer, opinion would be fine.

Rawhide is updated when Rawhide is updated. it's basically a snapshot
of what the OS devel team is working on at any given time. There is no
promise that it will be updated on any set schedule. The fact that it
sometimes installs and produces a working system is a bonus. If
someone in devel happens to be playig with some new code, or a new
package or a new feature, it typically shows up in Rawhide. This does
not mean that it will ever show up in Red Hat Linux, it just means
that, at any given time, this is what development is working on.

I cannot answer the other question as I simply do not know. Most of my
customers use Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and the ones I speak to
regularly aren't using it as a desktop.

> So, do you run RH and KDE?  If you do when/how do you upgrade KDE?   I
> was trying to take a rather crude poll.

Nope. I personally never liked KDE much past KDE 1.0. For some
reason, it makes my wrist hurt. And I've never been able to tweak it to
my liking. I don't run gnome either - I use Fluxbox for the most part.

As to upgrading KDE to the latest stable release, I *THINK* it goes
something along the lines of :

mkdir ~/kde-latest
cd ~/kde-latest
ncftp ftp.kde.org
ncftp> cd /pub/kde/stable/latest/RedHat/9
ncftp> get -r i386 noarch
ncftp> quit
rpm -Uvh i386/* noarch/*

But until the packages are done downloading, I won't be able to verify
that.

If you need the latest unstable release, it would appear that
you'll want to download the contents of the latest unstable dir
(ncftpget -v -z ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/latest/ ./kde
should work) and execute the compile_script included in that
directory. Then it's time for coffee/beer/whatever, because that's
going to take a while to finish.

HTH, etc, etc.

(And on a quick note which is totally off the real subject at hand and
which I'm sure everyone is burning for and answer : Unix was invented
in 1970 and I was born in January of 1971. This makes it just barely
possible for karl to have been running it since before I was alive -
as long as he worked on a PDP-7 at Bell Labs. Otherwise, I'll give him
credit for "before you were out of diapers" or even "before you knew
what a computer was" - all of which I find both insulting and
endearing in a curmudgeonly way.)

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --