[TriLUG] rh-9.0 docs cd

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon May 26 18:43:21 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 18:16, Jim Ray wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance.  I'm doing a fresh install of rh-9.0 onto new hw where I can do the everything flavor instead of the pick and choose to get under the limitation of my previous 6 gb hd.
>
> Here's the question.
>
> Whadaya do with the docs cd?  I used cds 1-3 and wanna install all docs so I can reference the man pages or whatever exists to educate my little ole pea brain.

You will get manpages with the standard installation (no docs CD
necessary).  Most packages also put documentation in
/usr/doc/package-1.0/ (where package and 1.0 are the package name and
version).  In addition, "info" pages are installed with many packages,
especially the official GNU/FSF software.  None of this requires the
docs CD; however the docs CD gets you things like the Customization
Guide and Reference Guide, which are also available on the Red Hat web
site.

>From the command line, a quick way to list the documentation for a given
package is "rpm -qd <packagename".  Also, I recommend "pinfo" as a nice
color program for viewing info pages; I find it much more intuitive than
the standard "info" program.  pinfo might not be installed by default
but it's on the CD or available via apt-get or up2date.  pinfo also
reads/views man pages.

--Jeremy