[TriLUG] OT: PS2 Linux Cluster

Jeff Jackowski jeffj1 at hiwaay.net
Mon May 26 23:16:43 EDT 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Tom Boucher wrote:

>On Monday, May 26, 2003, at 11:50 AM, Scott Lundgren wrote:
>
>> I'm going to guess the megalomaniac in all of us has pondered a beowulf
>> cluster for a serious game of Doom/Quake or BZFlag at some point.
>> Apparently
>> so did the NCSA, 65-node PS2 Cluster:
>>
>> http://arrakis.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ps2/cluster.php
>>
>> Wonder if they'll try that Oracle firewire cluster with it. ;)
>>

>I didn't see any links out of it, but how fast is it?  Always wondered
>what it could do.

If you go a directory level up, you'll find some links. Accroding to one
page, their latest (documented) test is still an order of magnitude slower
than what the hardware can supposedly do. But the pages seems to indicate
that this lack luster 300Mflops or so per unit is because they are still
learning how to use the hardware efficiently.

> I did get the linux kit for the playstation 2 but
>ended up selling it on ebay cuz I'm no programmer and couldn't figure
>out how to get anything to compile.

If it's any consolation, I am a programmer and I occasionally have trouble
getting software that should compile on a PC to compile on my PC. But I
think that is the fault of the developers not properly taking note of
their system's environment and how others can vary. Since most software
isn't even written to compile on the PS2 and few developers are working
with it, you have a fine excuse.

--
Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeffj/