[TriLUG] rh-9.0 docs cd

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue May 27 10:36:33 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 09:40, Jim Ray wrote:
> so, if you do the everything flavor of installation, pinfo is available?
> thanks for the tip.  is there an icon that you click on to make it
> execute, or do you have to create a link thingie?

Well, actually it's a terminal based application.  For example, to read
the help on pinfo itself, you'd run "pinfo pinfo" from the command
line.  It wouldn't really make sense to create an icon for it.

I think there is a "Gnome help browser" that will read info pages as
well, if you'd prefer a GUI, but I haven't used it much myself.

> you know how robocopy works in winders?  is there a linux flavor?
> i'd like to script the backup of data if possible.  it would be nice
> to do some kinda grep thingie to verify which files were copied and
> which files have problems with spaces in the file names or whatever.

There are numerous backup utilities available for Linux.  The most basic
one is "tar" but "rsync" is another great option.  There are numerous
scripts and utilities built with rsync as its backend.  There are also
more complext backup management systems like "amanda" which support tape
drives, scheduled backups from multiple systems, and other complex
features.

Is robocopy a GUI program?  Does anyone know of GUI equivalents in
Linux?

> i'm not sure about the proper syntax yet would like to do something along the lines of the following:
>
> cp smb://winders/share ..
>
> however, that command does not like me at all.

The smb:// syntax is only used by the Nautilus graphical file browser.
To use SMB shares with other commands, you'll need to "mount" the
filesystem -- see the man pages for smbmount and mount for more
information, or read through the Samba HOWTO.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |