[TriLUG] Novell torpedo's SCO with shocker: *we* own unix - not you!

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed May 28 11:52:07 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 11:31, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> I think that's one of the issues that makes people so mad about this --
> SCO won't say what portions are in dispute.  Which makes people suspect
> even more that the whole purpose of SCO's actions is FUD -- just like
> Novell's Messman says in the press release at
> http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/05/pr03033.html

I've been trying to get through to that site for over an hour now...
It's totally /.-ed.

>From what I can tell from other stories (and Hunters play-by-play in IRC
of the SCO financial conference phone call), SCO really only has rights
to re-license UNIX system V trademarks and source code.

Novell holds the original rights to license the same Source code and
copyrights, however, Novell's take on the situation is that the code is
Open, and has always been Open! So no need for anyone to license it.

The disputed code that affects Linux is in the code for the IP stack.
SCO says they showed it to IBM for use in the AIX operating system and
that some of the code filtered its way into the Linux kernel from IBM
developers.  IBM disputes this.  Novell says, the code was open anyway!

Novell trumps, as they actually "own" the code if there is an owner...

http://www.perens.com/Articles/SCO/BigLie.html