[TriLUG] DNS + Linux +Windows

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Wed May 28 20:33:13 EDT 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003 15:58:01 "Hite, Danny" <Danny.Hite at per-se.com> wrote:
 > Hello all. I have a network with Win2k dns/dhcp and a linux box getting
 > it's address from the dhcp server.  Is there a setting on the linux box
 > to change so that a record is created in the 2k dns server? Or will
 > *nix write hostname records to 2k dns servers?

This has nothing in particular to do with a Windows DHCP server; I had
the same experience when I was connecting 2 windows boxes and 2 linux
boxes to my LinkSys 4-port switch/router w/DHCP server.  Both windows
boxes and my Xandros box reported their hostnames to the DHCP server,
and I could see it in the DHCP map.  The Red Hat box however did not
report its hostname.  When I upgraded to Red Hat 9, the installer had
a minute question on one of the screens whether to get its hostname
from the DHCP server, or to have a set hostname, and then a checkbox
to report the hostname to the DHCP server.

The gist of this is, look in your admin screens for this network
setting (you didn't say which distribution and version you have).  If
you are comfortable with the command line, check the lines in your
/etc/dhclient-conf file for a line that has:
        send host-name "something.here"

See the man pages dhcp-options(5) and dhclient.conf(5) for information
on configuring your DHCP setup:
        man -s5 dhcp-options
        man -s5 dhclient.conf

--