[TriLUG] Intel Mboards

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu May 29 12:42:32 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 11:15, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 10:29 AM, JoJo Almario wrote:
>
> > I have an INtel L440GX+ server mother board in one of my servers
> > running RedHat 7.0 and kernel 2.2.16-22snm  I wanted to upgrade it to
> > 7.3 or 8.0, does anyone know if there would be any problems doing so?
> > It is a mail server and pretty mission critical so I want to cover all
> > my bases before I screw this up.
>
> It's a pretty major upgrade you're talking about there.  IIRC Red Hat
> can claim to upgrade from 7.0 to another 7.x release (not sure about
> 8.0).    8.0 is kind of an orphan out there.  7.3 is a great server
> class OS, which I use on a number of my servers and it's worked out
> well (up2date is another story but we won't go into that).  Make sure
> you have a full backup and can roll back if anything goes wrong.
> Especially make sure you have all of your MTA config files backed up,
> as well as your mail spool (with those two bits in hand you could
> theoretically jump to a totally different OS and get back up & running
> in short order).

I agree with Chris -- you may want to consider upgrading to 7.3 first,
as it is still the most "stable" Red Hat Linux release out there (not
counting the RHEL line).  Either that or go all the way to 9; there's no
reason at this time to choose 8.0.

What is the "snm" kernel that you're running -- a custom kernel that you
built?  You might want to check on that first, to see if the custom
features are available in the default kernels in the newer version.

Backups are CRUCIAL when upgrading production servers.  Do multiple
backups, and TEST them.  No, it's not fun, but it can save your job in
case something goes wrong!

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |