[TriLUG] Installing Knoppix on hard drive revisited!!

rob wildermann alteran at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 12:53:08 EDT 2003

Easy way to install Debian? You may want to look seriously at Xandros,
a commercial Debian-based distro with a graphical installer. The base
version is $39.95. The installation can only be described as butt
simple.

If you want an idiot-proof dual boot where you resize an NTFS partition
using the graphical installer, you may want to consider the deluxe
version. ($99).

http://www.xandros.com/shopping.html

One more word of praise -- I have an older Toshiba Satellite 1555 CDS
laptop which has a history of frustrating Linux installations. (It
foiled even the mighty Tanner at an Installfest). I have failed with
several generations of Gentoo, Mandrake and Redhat. Knoppix doesn't run
off the CD. Xandros installed with no problem.

--rob wildermann

--- al johson <alfjon at mindspring.com> wrote:

>    Changing the subject to another alleged easy way to install
> Debian,
> Libranet. I've discovered that you can purchase a copy for about
> $70.00 or
> download an older version for free. The first review of Libranet led
> me to
> believe that its installer was graphical, alas it isn't. It is text
> based
> but if you believe the reviewers it does detect the hardware
> automatically
> and the installation is fairly easy to do. (Sounds like a good topic
> for a
> Trilug meeting to me: How to do an easy installation of Debian!!).
> Hope you are doing well. When are we going to have another meeting at
> the
> Mongolian restaurant in Cary??---Al Johnson.

=====
--rob wildermann
alteran AT yahoo DOT com