[TriLUG] Shell prompt tweaks

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu May 29 22:48:05 EDT 2003

>From "man bash"

PROMPTING
 When executing interactively, bash displays the primary prompt PS1 when
 it is ready to read a command, and the secondary  prompt  PS2  when  it
 needs  more  input  to  complete  a  command.  Bash allows these prompt
 strings to be customized by inserting  a  number  of  backslash-escaped
 special characters that are decoded as follows:
       \a     an ASCII bell character (07)
       \d     the  date  in "Weekday Month Date" format (e.g., "Tue May
              26")
       \D{format}
              the format is passed to strftime(3)  and  the  result  is
              inserted  into the prompt string; an empty format results
              in a locale-specific time representation.  The braces are
              required
       \e     an ASCII escape character (033)
       \h     the hostname up to the first `.'
       \H     the hostname
       \j     the number of jobs currently managed by the shell
       \l     the basename of the shell's terminal device name
       \n     newline
       \r     carriage return
       \s     the  name  of  the shell, the basename of $0 (the portion
              following the final slash)
       \t     the current time in 24-hour HH:MM:SS format
       \T     the current time in 12-hour HH:MM:SS format
       \@     the current time in 12-hour am/pm format
       \A     the current time in 24-hour HH:MM format
       \u     the username of the current user
       \v     the version of bash (e.g., 2.00)
       \V     the release of bash, version + patchelvel (e.g., 2.00.0)
       \w     the current working directory
       \W     the basename of the current working directory
       \!     the history number of this command
       \#     the command number of this command
       \$     if the effective UID is 0, a #, otherwise a $
       \nnn   the character corresponding to the octal number nnn
       \\     a backslash
       \[     begin a sequence of non-printing characters, which  could
              be  used  to  embed  a terminal control sequence into the
              prompt
       \]     end a sequence of non-printing characters