[TriLUG] Ogg vs. mp3

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Fri May 30 01:55:25 EDT 2003

Actually, according to various sound experts, as long as you sample MP3
files at 160-180 most experts really can't detect the difference between MP3
files and Wav files.
While a Wav file clearly has more data, you must remember that there is
sampling taking place simply in the conversion between analog to digital and
back again, when even wav files are played. There was a math professor at
the University of Pittsburgh who used to play a trick on her students to
teach them about sampling. She would go to the CD store and buy the newest
and most popular album available. She would take it to her math class, but
before she would play it she would put some bad scratches on it. The class
really payed attention to that, but when she played the CD there was no
trace of the scratches, because she hadn't scratched it enough for it to
become audible. She then explained to the students why CD's don't act the
same as 33 records. This was a story that was told to me in the Pitt alumni
magazine (I did my graduate work there).
    So as long as you sample at a sufficiently high enough rate there is no
audible difference between sound when it is sampled or not. Hence the magic
numbers I've given above.--Al Johnson