[TriLUG] Converting an NT Server to Linux

Tom Boucher trekkie at spamcop.net
Sat May 31 08:11:46 EDT 2003

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 10:55 AM, Andrew Perrin wrote:

> If you've got the data on a separate disk (or have an additional
> available
> disk) I think the simplest path will be to physically remove the disk,
> install linux on what remains, put the data disk(s) back in, mount
> them,
> and do whatever else needs doing from within linux.  You may need to
> use
> the read-only NTFS support, depending on how the NT disk is formatted.

Yeah I thought of that.  but part of the problem with the server is
that they created multiple RAID arrays in groups of 4 or 5 drives for
some reason instead of a larger array.  Some of the arrays are running
out of space while of course the others have tons.

So I was hoping to be able to re-create the arrays (and with a hot
spare since this machine is almost 3 years old now) so we could get
some space consolidation and some drive failure protection on this old,
9GB 7200 RPM SCSI drives.