[TriLUG] MP3 Question

Ken Wahl ken at kenwahl.org
Sat May 31 13:14:40 EDT 2003

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 07:11:48AM -0700, Scot Huntsberry wrote:
> Hi, I am new to linux.  I installed RH 9.0 and am learning as I go.  I
> noticed that RH disabled just about anything to do with the MP3 format
> in the installation.  I did update the audio player to play mp3 files,
> but I am looking for a good application to rip my audio CDs to mp3 and
> an application to burn mp3 files to audio CDs.  Can anyone offer a
> suggestions?

I have used Grip downloaded at freshrpms.net successfully on RH9
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/grip/grip-3.0.7-fr1.i386.rpm

If you first download and install the apt rpm
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/apt/apt-0.5.5cnc5-fr2.i386.rpm

and the synaptic rpm
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/synaptic/synaptic-0.36.1-fr1.i386.rpm

Then you can use synaptic to download and install apps from freshrpms
and it will take care of dependencies for you.

OTOH, if you're new to Linux and want to learn how things work under the
hood, learn how to use rpm and track down dependencies on your own.

I presume others will have input to offer on this as well which may
conflict with what I just suggested..

Caveat emptor, YMMV, etc. etc..
--
Ken Wahl  ken at kenwahl.org  http://www.kenwahl.org