[TriLUG] need squid help

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 1 17:23:02 EDT 2003

I must be missing something basic.  Today I rebuilt my firewall, full
reload, etc.  Everything works fine except squid.  Prior to today's
debacle I used squid in combination with ssh so I could tuennel my web
traffic over ssh while at my house using my wireless network and I
could also tunnel out from work to my firewall and surf without being
monitored.  Here's how I set up my tunnel from my mac client:

ssh -l myUserName 192.168.15.1 8080:myFirewall.is-a-geek.com:8080

So, basically, once I've logged in using the above command my Mac takes
the local port 8080 and stuffs it into a tunnel over port 22 to
myFirewall where, on the other side, squid listens on 8080 then proxies
my web traffic for me.

Prior to today I used to have to make two changes to
/etc/squid/squid.conf to make this all work and these changes were:

uncomment the http_port line and change it to:

http_port 8080

and the second change was:

under the following line:
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255

add the following line:
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8

Then save the file, restart squid and this USED to work for me.  Now
any time I try to access something via the tunnel I get the following
error on my browser:

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.ebay.com/

The following error was encountered:

     * Access Denied.

Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed
at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is
incorrect.

I have tried and TRIED to figure out this access control stuff but
nothing looks obviously wrong.

Any ideas?

Greg