[TriLUG] DNS + Linux +Windows

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sun Jun 1 19:34:17 EDT 2003

[Hite, Danny] wrote:

>[Scott Hall wrote:]
>> The gist of this is, look in your admin screens for this network
>> setting (you didn't say which distribution and version you have).
>> If you are comfortable with the command line, check the lines in
>> your /etc/dhclient-conf file for a line that has:
>>         send host-name "something.here"
>

>I am using RH 7.3 and I do not see the /etc/dhclient-conf file. I also
>didn't see it in any of the gui interfaces. Perhaps this is a RH 9.x
>thing.

I was hoping I was a little clearer, but I guess not.  If you read the
examples on the man pages, they say that you want such a line in your
dhclient-conf file, if it is not there you want to add it.  I confirmed
that it was in my Xandros version, but not in the RH 9 version.  So I
just added it, and followed the steps to restart the DHCP client (ended
up rebooting anyway), and viola! it thereafter reported its hostname to
the DHCP table on the LinkSys.

Since I have done that, I also found something similar in the Mandrake
9.1 GUI installer, and confirmed the existence of the line in that file.
Each of the man pages I mentioned has a section discussing exactly this
scenario.  If you want, I am doing a fresh new install of RH 9 next
weekend (just before next meeting), and I'll email the exact steps
involved.

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA