[TriLUG] Intel Mboards

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sun Jun 1 20:00:52 EDT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003 10:29:42 JoJo Almario <jalmario at intrah.org> wrote:

> I have an INtel L440GX+ server mother board in one of my servers running
> RedHat 7.0 and kernel 2.2.16-22snm  I wanted to upgrade it to 7.3 or 8.0,
> does anyone know if there would be any problems doing so?  It is a mail
> server and pretty mission critical so I want to cover all my bases before
> I screw this up.

This should be pretty straightforward, as this is an older motherboard and
therefore should have all of its hardware easily detected during install.
You might want to make sure that you check the install option for a simple
server that will install just the minimal packages needed.  And also be
sure to check the "secure" option to tighten your security -- you can always
open just the ports you need to (25, etc), or for that matter setup a
specific sendmail.allow file to allow incoming mail from only trusted
servers.  There is also a good article in last month's SysAdmin Magazine
on setting up SpamAssasin and other alternatives for scrubbing your mail
of spam.

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA