[TriLUG] need squid help

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 1 22:09:52 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 17:23, Greg Brown wrote:
> I must be missing something basic.  Today I rebuilt my firewall, full
> reload, etc.  Everything works fine except squid.  Prior to today's
> debacle I used squid in combination with ssh so I could tuennel my web
> traffic over ssh while at my house using my wireless network and I
> could also tunnel out from work to my firewall and surf without being
> monitored.  Here's how I set up my tunnel from my mac client:
>
> ssh -l myUserName 192.168.15.1 8080:myFirewall.is-a-geek.com:8080
>
> So, basically, once I've logged in using the above command my Mac takes
> the local port 8080 and stuffs it into a tunnel over port 22 to
> myFirewall where, on the other side, squid listens on 8080 then proxies
> my web traffic for me.
>
> Prior to today I used to have to make two changes to
> /etc/squid/squid.conf to make this all work and these changes were:

What version of Squid are you running?

> uncomment the http_port line and change it to:
>
> http_port 8080
>
> and the second change was:
>
> under the following line:
> acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
>
> add the following line:
> acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8

acl allowd_hosts src 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0

<...snip...>

http_access allow allowed_hosts

You might need the 192.168.0.0 to be 127.0.0.0
Hope that helps.

Just finished up a big SquidGuard install.  Squid is very cool.  As is
squidguard.  The web-filtering works great and it can handle a huge load
on a moderate server.

I setup the RHL9 server with a couple of icons controlling some scripts
so that they could modify the blocked/passed domains with a few button
clicks.  All very nice.

Right now, I'm writing some log parsing scripts for report generation.
If I can figure out RDD tools, I'll give them some graphics too.

Jon Carnes