[TriLUG] a simple question

Jerry M. Howell II jmhowell at jmhowell.com
Wed Jun 4 21:44:56 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 07:15:51PM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 09:39 AM, Ian Zhang wrote:
>
> > I have installed Red Hat 8.  How do I enable ftp and telnet access on
> > my own machine?
>
> ftp:
> * vi /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd
> * change "disable = yes" to "disable = no"
> * service xinetd restart
>
> telnet:
> This is one of those things where grizzled old sysadmins usually say if
> you have to ask, then you probably don't understand the security
> implications and shouldn't be told.  Telnet is evil.  99.999% of people
> don't really have a viable excuse to enable it.  sshd is probably
> already there, and should be used instead.

Hey there, mabe should look into another ftp client as well. Proftp is
the most commonly used but I've aso heard some goodthings about pureftp
as well. Has anyone tried it before? Trust me. I had wu enabled once,
was just to lazy to pull it out and was cracked with a DDoS atack 3 days
later. Have had a bad taste in my mouth for wu ever since.
--
Jerry M. Howell II