[TriLUG] Knoppix revisited...again

Gregory Woodbury ggw at wolves.homeip.net
Thu Jun 5 06:01:26 EDT 2003

"It was written once upon a time (by Scott G. Hall):"

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 00:13:12 "Chris Bullock" <cgbullock at cox.net> wrote:
>
> >OK, I have finally tried knoppix and like the quick and easy <1 min
> >Linux install.  I know that Knoppix is a bootable Linux distro, but my
> >question is; is there a way to load it onto a Windoze HD and launch it
> >from within Windoze.  Is this something Knoppix can handle or should I
> >explore Lin4Win?  I have used cygwin but I have problems with remote X
> >display everytime I load it and am getting frustrated deciding what to
> >download.
> >

> MS Windows is a machine operating system.  Linux is a machine operating
> system.  You can't have two operators running the same machine at the
> same time.  Therefore, it is impossible to run Linux from within MS
> Windows.  Also, don't confuse emulation of an operating with the actual
> operating system.  The cygwin project is an emulation system designed
> to run UNIX software from within MS Windows -- MS Windows still being
> the operating system here.  Win4Lin is an emulation system designed to
> run MS Windows (and MS DOS) programs from within Linux -- Linux still
> being the operating system.

It should be pointed out that "virtual machine" systems actually allow
two different OSes to "run" at the same time.  True, there is an
"emulaation layer" that handles device/pseud-device interfaces, but the
host and guest OSes are still running together.

I don't know for sure, but you might be able to install VMWare or
something on an NT/2000 box and provide it the Knoppix .iso as a virtual
CD drive.  Or at least use Knoppix as the guest OS when initializing the
VMWare installation.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury   `-_-'         Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us      U