[TriLUG] Sendmail config / help.

Steven Blanchard sgblanch at email.unc.edu
Fri Jun 6 16:03:01 EDT 2003

I am having trouble configuring sendmail on a redhat 8.0 box. Basically, I can
not send mail out on the 8.0 box because it tries to go through localhost, which
is not running a sendmail daemon as I only need to send mail from the box, not
recieve it. I am using a sendmail.mc file that I use on a 7.3 box with no
problems. The 7.0 box does not run the sendmail daemon either.  Attached is a
transcript of sendmail -v on both boxes as well as my sendmail.mc from which I
created the sendmail.cf. For the record, the 8.0 box is running the
sendmail-8.12.8-5.80 rpm

And before it comes up, I unfortunantly can not switch to a different mailer: I
have no say in the matter. I have to stick with sendmail.

-----

80box% sendmail -v me at my.domain.com
Subject: test
test
.
me at my.domain.com... Connectiong to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
me at my.domain.com... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

-----

73box% sendmail -v me at my.domain.com
test
.
me at my.domain.com... Connectiong to my.smarthost.com via relay...
250-my.smarthost.com Hello host.domain.com [XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX], pleased to meet you
<snip>

-----

divert(-1)
dnl
dnl sendmail.mc
dnl
include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`1.0.1')dnl
OSTYPE(`linux')
dnl We want to pass all mail through my.smarthost.com
define(`SMART_HOST',`my.smarthost.com')dnl
dnl use user 8, group 12
define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
dnl we don't wan't anything unexpected running
undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')dnl
undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')dnl
dnl time to wait for an inital connect
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
dnl define the location of the aliases file
define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
dnl define privacy flags
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
dnl AUTH= parameter for MAIL FROM only issued when authentication succeeded
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
dnl warn about delivery problems after 4hrs
define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `4h')dnl
dnl return undelivered messages after 5 days
define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN', `4d')dnl
dnl Define this just incase there is ever a misconfig and we run as a dameon
FEATURE(`nouucp',`reject')dnl
dnl we should never run as a daemon, but still we don't want to listen on port
dnl 557 just in case.
FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
dnl use the sendmail restricted shell for sending mail
FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
dnl all email addresses are @my.domain.com
MASQUERADE_AS(`my.domain.com')
dnl we always want root's mail to come from this machine
EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl
dnl We should not be running as as a daemon, but just in case,
dnl only listen to the loopback interface.
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')
dnl We only need to deliver smtp, no local or procmail delivery
MAILER(smtp)dnl