[TriLUG] kscand?

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Sat Jun 7 15:17:15 EDT 2003

Hello all, quick question about a RedHat 7.2 system (2.4.20-13.7 Kernel).
I tried searching Redhat.com, Google, the TriLUG archives, as well as the
man pages and `apropos`, but could not find any information about a
process that I have running called "kscand".  Can anyone explain what this
is/does?

# ps -eaf |grep kscand
root         6     1  0 May22 ?        00:43:39 [kscand]

While I'm asking, what do processes contained in square brackets mean
also?  Some processes appear in these brackets when I run `ps`.

Thanks!
Jeff

Jeff Bollinger, CISSP
University of North Carolina