[TriLUG] apt-get/konqueror problems

Chris Bullok cgbullock at cox.net
Sun Jun 8 10:41:45 EDT 2003

Background
Here is it.  I have been using Mandrake for about a year and when I upgraded
to 9.x, I just didn't like it.  So I have decided to try Red Hat 7.3, I know
that Red Hat is up to 9.0.  But from what I have seen, I would like to stick
to the mature 7.3 version.

Problem
I have never used apt-get, this may be my entire problem entirely.  When I
loaded the OS I just surfed the web..blah, blah, blah did what anyone would
do when they load a new OS for the first time.  I decide to download apt
since I can not remember all the rpm switches since apt is universal to the
'nux's.  I ran the apt-get upgrade and apt-get update 2 times to be sure that
I got everything.  So here is the problem.  Konqueror doesn't work, it did
before the updates, here is the backtrace log:  the general description is
caused a signal 11 when I click on backtrace I get this:

(no debugging symbols found)...0x420b4769 in ?? ()
#0  0x420b4769 in ?? ()
#1  0x40ee8ca3 in ?? ()
#2  0x406ac8d2 in ?? ()
#3  0x40ee6f75 in ?? ()
#4  <signal handler called>
#5  0x000040fe in ?? ()
#6  0x406c33d7 in ?? ()
#7  0x406c4899 in ?? ()
#8  0x412301c4 in ?? ()
#9  0x41223eac in ?? ()
#10 0x412233fd in ?? ()
#11 0x41223130 in ?? ()
#12 0x412262d0 in ?? ()
#13 0x411ff5dd in ?? ()
#14 0x411ff67b in ?? ()
#15 0x41234d9a in ?? ()
#16 0x4003fbec in ?? ()
#17 0x400313bc in ?? ()
#18 0x40030d8b in ?? ()
#19 0x4004de7a in ?? ()
#20 0x40040810 in ?? ()
#21 0x40041a80 in ?? ()
#22 0x40980ec7 in ?? ()
#23 0x40980fec in ?? ()
#24 0x40c7a27d in ?? ()
#25 0x409986d7 in ?? ()
#26 0x40920ff3 in ?? ()
#27 0x40920e8c in ?? ()
#28 0x40611f1b in ?? ()
#29 0x408c55cf in ?? ()
#30 0x408c5eb9 in ?? ()
#31 0x409224bc in ?? ()
#32 0x408c5637 in ?? ()
#33 0x411ff030 in ?? ()
#34 0x0804cee9 in init_signals ()
#35 0x0804dbcc in handle_requests ()
#36 0x0804e016 in kdeinit_library_path ()
#37 0x0804f505 in _IO_stdin_used ()
#38 0x42017499 in ?? ()

Also, what should a standard apt.conf look like.  I have not changed anything
and this is what I have in sources apt file:
# Red Hat Linux 7.3
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/7.3/i386 os updates freshrpms
rpm-src http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/7.3/i386 os updates freshrpms
I tried to download some other rpms that I know exist and apt states there are
no files.

help is greatly appreciated,

Chris