[TriLUG] Re: Firewall for my webserver (IPTABLES)

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Jun 9 08:38:30 EDT 2003

Just a WAG, but have you tried setting the Named so that it responds
from the external interface?

>From "man named.conf"

<...snip>

Interfaces
 The interfaces and ports that the server will answer queries from may
 be specified using the listen-on option.  listen-on takes an optional
 port, and an address match list.  The server will listen on all inter-
 faces allowed by the address match list.  If a port is not specified,
 port 53 will be used.

 Multiple listen-on statements are allowed.  For example,

     listen-on { 5.6.7.8; };
     listen-on port 1234 { !1.2.3.4; 1.2/16; };

 will enable the nameserver on port 53 for the IP address 5.6.7.8, and
 on port 1234 of an address on the machine in net 1.2 that is not
 1.2.3.4.

 If no listen-on is specified, the server will listen on port 53 on all
 interfaces.
======

If that doesn't work, then use tcpdump or ethereal to capture dns
request going to and from the server.  You can do it with the
firewall/NAT down (when it works) and then compare that to when the
firewall/NAT is up (and it doesn't work for Win98 clients).

Good Luck - Jon Carnes