[TriLUG] Command line mail

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Jun 9 16:21:31 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 15:50, Tarus Balog wrote:
> Gang:
>
> OpenNMS uses /bin/mail to send mail notifications. Since the actiond
> process runs as root, the mail appears sent from
> "root at myserver.mydomain".
>
> They would like it to be something like "opennms at myserver.mydomain". So
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) I don't think this is possible with /bin/mail. I am right?

It doesn't appear to have the option to change the From: line, no.

> 2) Is there another command line mail program that *would* allow one to
> set the "From" field? It would need to function similarly to /bin/mail
> to be a drop in replacement.

It wouldn't exactly be a drop-in replacement, but it would be pretty
simple to use "sendmail -t" to send your mail.   When sendmail is
invoked with the -t flag, it will read the 'to' and 'from' from the
headers you give it on standard input.  For example:

bash$ /usr/sbin/sendmail -t