[TriLUG] Command line mail

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 9 16:30:31 EDT 2003

Using /bin/mail I don' t think this is possible.

I used to use mailx in the Solaris world to do just this type of thing
but, in the RH world anyway, mailx doesn't seem to have been ported to
Linux.  If memory serves, and for what it's worth, the mailx command
used to be  'mailx -s 'my subject' -r opennms at myhost.mydomain.com
sendingto at address.com <imported.mail.file'.

I've been tinkering with ELM and I have been able send mail using a
different reply to address  by setting the REPLYTO variable to the
address I want but the from line still shows the mail as coming from my
user account even though I've set the variables USER and LOGNAME.

I'll keep tinkering..

Greg