[TriLUG] SAMBA question - booting

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jun 10 23:08:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 14:26, Roy Vestal wrote:
> I have samba installed on RHL 9. When I start up, it hangs on "starting SMB
> service".

That being the case, then it is dying on the command:
  daemon smbd -D

Otherwise you would see the "Starting NMB services: "

Try chaning that line to:
   daemon smbd -d 3

That will generate a lot of debug information. The log files should let
you know exactly what is going on.
===

I have seen similar behavior before in following cases:
 - firewall rules blocking ports during boot (make sure firewall not
 - root mount locked or not yet fully mounted
 - mounting point being used by automount (or other daemon which has not
*yet* timed out during boot)
 - dns/resolv.conf file not set till rc.local is run (put hosts ip and
names in /etc/hosts file)