[TriLUG] Re: Command line mail

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Tue Jun 10 23:45:48 EDT 2003

> [Tarus Balog]
> >However, if you don't like that idea, here is an alternative:
> > - download the source RPM for Mailx
> > - rpm -i the_source_rpm
> > - cd /usr/src/RPMS/SOURCES/
> > - tar -xzf mailx-...tar.gz
> > - cd mailx-...
> > - grep From *
> >

> Thanks to everyone who suggested options. I'll prolly start with this
> one.

FWIW, the -a argument for specifying additional headers works great
for me for specifying the From: header

     -a      Specify additional header fields on the command line such
             as "X-Loop: foo at bar" etc.  You have to use quotes if the
             string contains spaces.  This argument may be specified
             more than once, the headers will then be concatenated.

-a "From: user at domain.com" worked
-a "From: user" worked too, appended my hostname

running postfix locally and sending the mail to a local user, so this
may be postfix-specific somehow, dunno.