[TriLUG] Linux Fileserver to replace w2k

bp bpevans at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 11 16:05:27 EDT 2003

A w2k box in our lab has slowly grown into a file server role.... but a
recent worm outbreak highlighted how *wonderful* Windows is at the file
sharing job.  So I got the go ahead from team to move the share to a
dedicated windows-fileserver on a platform other than Windows.  (read
Samba on *nix)  I'm tempted to use AIX because LVM works so simply...
but wanted to check if any Linux distributions do LVM (logical volume
mgmt)?    Is LVM and add on or something I could configure in say the
RHAS 2.1 setup?

I have some old Ultra5's, some old AIX boxes & some old Intels.  As soon
as I find a modest sized drive laying around I'll narrow down my
hardware selection.  I betting on using Linux/Intel since IDE drives are
easier to come across - anyone care to recommend solaris or aix for the
job?  -bp