[TriLUG] SCO shows Linux code to analysts

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Thu Jun 12 11:27:30 EDT 2003

On Thursday 12 June 2003 11:02 am, Scott G. Hall wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2003 16:49:10 Roy Vestal <rvestal at trilug.org> wrote:
> >>From LinuxWorld:

> >SCO shows Linux code to analysts
> >SCO is taking its case against Linux and IBM on the road

> >http://www.linuxworld.com/go.cgi?id=742512

> I read the article, and find their case vary nebulous.  They are trying to
> null and void.  When SCO bought code base from Novell, they then proceeded
> to create Xopen and make the System-V code public domain.  Anything a part
> of the resulting OpenUNIX -- such as the contending SMB code -- no longer
> can be part of the contract.  The fact that snippets of code in the Sys-V
> line are in the Linux line could have come from a multitude of sources:
> Lucent Bell Labs, Novell and SCO themselves all contributed to Linux in the
> contended areas of code.  To try to put this on "deep pockets IBM" is
> ludicrous.

This is an interesting piece of news:

June 10, 2003
Did SCO Violate the GPL?
By Peter Galli

A source close to SCO, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told eWEEK that
parts of the Linux kernel code were copied into the Unix System V source tree
by former or current SCO employees.

"During that project we often came across sections of code that looked very
similar, in fact we wondered why even variable names were identical. It
looked very much like both codes had the same origin, but that was good as
the implementation of 95 percent of all Linux system calls on the Unix kernel
turned out to be literally 'one-liners'," the source said.

Salut,
Sinner
--
Stallman Reads my Tutorials! http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/Steel/rms.html
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux User # 89976