[TriLUG] New member re-location question

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 13 08:44:04 EDT 2003

I wanted to respond to Phil's original query.  The market down here is
tough, real tough, right now.  If you are dead set on moving down here
from Boston you're going to have tough time finding work right away,
but the good news is there ARE jobs around here, they are just few and
far between and competition is FIERCE.

For instance, a local drug company just added two UNIX admins paying
close to the 100k a year range.  Knowing the VP of IT, Chairman of the
Board, and several global directors didn't land me that one, but at
least I applied (as did probably everyone on this list an a zillion
others) and managed to land an interview.

I hadn't even finished crying in my beer about the above job when I
heard about another (even better in my opinion) job.  The job I just
landed is as close to my dream job as can be had these days.  It's
network management related, Linux related, and it rocks.  To land the
job I had to know some of the big dogs in the company, and some of the
people that the big dogs know, and show that my 10 years plus of
network management and UNIX skills hadn't gone stale.

Prior to working here I road the train wreck that was Lucent from
120,000 employees down to 35,000.  While I was doing hard-core
technically related stuff when I started at Lucent I ended by writing
specs on splayed manholes that wouldn't crush under the weight of tanks
or settle too deep into Korea's unique soil conditions.  Oh yippie,
that was fun I can tell you.  But I did keep my skills up to date by
volunteering for any technically challenging project that came along
and tinkering with technical projects at home (i.e. learning new
programming languages, keeping the ones I didn't know as sharp as
possible, etc).

But the good news is there are jobs here!  For instance UNC-TV also
recently added two UNIX admins.  Heck, Revlon Corporate has been trying
to find a UNIX admin out in Oxford (a bit North of where I live in
Youngsville) for EIGHT MONTHS.  I've send the link out before, but here
it is again:

<"http://skillnet.skillset.com/revlon/extpost.nsf/
bf017f390970e816882566f6005aa7cb/
fe05896282793df185256c4b00175e66?OpenDocument">

I guess what I'm saying is DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!    Meaningful,
challenging work is out there.  Just be ready to pounce when the time
comes and get that resume polished and get some good references that
can really speak to your technical abilities.  And get involved with a
local LUG (as much as is possible, anyway) and just try to keep your
skills up to date.

Just my $.02.

Greg