[TriLUG] New member re-location question

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Fri Jun 13 10:21:05 EDT 2003

On Friday, Jun 13, 2003, at 09:17 US/Eastern, Chris Magnus Hedemark
wrote:
> The sudden loss of IT jobs in this country is at least partly
> attributable to jobs moving to countries with cheap labor, like India
> or China.  When I was at a big blue company a few years back I saw
> jobs moving to India that used to be in Raleigh.  Maybe part of it was
> caused by IT guys hopping from job to job every 6 to 18 months in
> pursuit of higher pay, and employers scrambling to retain talent as
> long as they could.  Loyalty in the workplace is *gone*, with blame
> falling on both sides of the employee/employer relationship.

Watching the movie last night made me realize a few things.  Linus was
asked, "Do you feel like you've lost out on the millions of wealth that
Linux has generated?" (or something like that.)  And Linus responded,
"No, I'm happy that I and all these people who like to do Linux stuff
can get jobs doing it." (or something like that.)

First, I realized is that Linux and Open Source software for a while
was an economic growth package the likes of which any Governors,
legislatures, and Presidents would jump at the chance to set up.  Linus
managed to do it, without intending to.  But it burned very brightly
and could not be sustained.  While it burned, a lot of people got
trained in IT, people who had no formal training.  I know off-hand of
two excellent network administrators who's college degrees had nothing
to do with IT.  One was history, the other sociology.  If/when they get
laid off, they don't often go back to their degrees.  Maybe IT gets in
your blood.

Second, the pushing of VC companies to invest in Open Source companies
and their reluctance to do so... Joel on Software has a fantastic
article on VC companies and how they work -- from the companies
point-of-view.  When I showed it to a VC friend of mine, he mentioned
that some of the things are correct, some are not.  Yes, it works out
that 7 of 10 fail, 2 of 10 are marginally successful, and the last is
The Big One.  But they don't invest with that expectation.  Every one
they invest in is one they expect will be The Big One.  The one that
they cash out of in five years with enough to fund another 10 or 20.

Once they've invested, the VC's job is risk management.  They're not
looking to add as much risk as possible to the venture.  If they do
something that seems risky and dumb to the rest of the company, it's
not because they want to have one of the 7 failures, it's because they
see things differently.  They see the risky thing as a reasonable
gamble, or an opportunity.  Maybe they know something you don't.  Maybe
you know something they don't.

Oh, and this precludes whatever the equivalent of "paper MSCEs" are in
the VC world.  As with any profession, some of them are simply
incompetent.  Can you tell the difference?

At any rate, today as an industry they've scaled waaay back the level
of risk they're willing to manage.  They're still in the business of
making money by investing in companies, but they've learned to be
leery.  Stock prices that explode on opening day, then a year later are
worth less than 1% of their high?  Not what they consider one of their
successes, even if the company is still around today.

And yet there are those that no one quite figures to be worth investing
in.  The canonical example: Pez dispensers.  eBay started off as a site
for buying and selling Pez dispensers.  Who could envision what it
would become?  If the guy that started it went to some VC people and
said, "I want to get people to sell Pez dispensers online."  Well,
would you have invested in it?  Would you have thought, "Yes, sell Pez
dispensers online, and maybe a town in California."

Third, when Richard Stalman was talking about the admins not sharing
and the punishment he effected, I immediately thought of the Sports
Night where Dan (half of the on-air talent) didn't tell Natalie (the
associate producer) something -- didn't share -- and when she found out
there was "punishment."  She had wardrobe withhold their pants until
the first commercial break.

jf
--
John Franklin