[TriLUG] New member re-location question

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 10:51:06 EDT 2003

--- Philip Buckley wrote:
> For the past month or so while working as a carpenter during the day, and
> doing contract web developemnt at night and weekends, I have started thinking
> about going back and getting my teaching certificate so I can teach high
> school history, my first dream but one I put aside because it paid crap.

That is awesome.  I say again, that is awesome.  As some of you may know from
my discussions in IRC, I too have made some serious considerations for leaving
IT.  I have been fortunate enough not to be laid off or fired, but I still feel
the pressures of this economy.  I currently work with Windows and Linux and
learn more about Linux everyday.  More importantly, I have made a realization,
same as Philip here is coming to find, him teaching, me trains.  Recently I
have found myself becoming more and more involved with trains.  Trains have
been a part of my life since my Dad got me a train set when I was 3 years old,
I'm 27 now.  I am currently an avid modeler, something I can take with me to my
death bed.  Trains have become embedded in my heart.

Over the last 6 months, I have made the decision that I must leave IT and work
for the railroad.  I own a condo, so I can't just move and get the railroad job
where it is.  I have made the decision to stick it out in IT and wait for the
position to come to Raleigh.  When it does, I'm going to pursue it 110%.  What
I questioned about myself was this.  Am I in computers for the money and
because I find them easy, or am I in computers b/c I love them?  My answer was
simple.  I do not love computers.  Computers are simply a tool for me to use.
Will I take a salary hit, most certainly, is it worth it?  Wouldn't you want to
love your job instead of hate it?

However, when I leave IT, I will not leave computers behind.  I will continue
to be an active TriLUG member, as much as the railroad's 24/7 on call status
will allow.  I will continue to learn more about Linux and maintain my own
network, security and websites.  In a strange kinda way, my hobby is about to
become my career, and my career is about to become my hobby.  Funny isn't it?
Yet, my love for trains is so strong, that even working for the railroad will
not take away my enjoyment of the modeling hobby.  Not only that, I'll wake up
daily ready and glad to be going to work.

My decision is not absolute.  If I were to come into the right IT job (my
current one is NOT it) then I may delay my decision in working for the
railroad, not for money sake, but for my desire to continue learning about
Linux, OS X and applying that to everyday life.  I enjoy providing support and
teaching users how to be more efficient in what they do.  Education is your
best weapon in today's society.  Teaching empowers.

Good luck Philip!
David M.