[TriLUG] New member re-location question

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 17:00:32 EDT 2003

/odd reaction

wow, not the reaction I had expected... most of what I said was heart-felt...
my general statement was to say, follow your heart.  I shall attempt to answer
some of your questions about my statements:

--- lfwelty <lfwelty at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> /stronger-than-expected-rant
>
> Almost OT, but I think it's related - see (3) at the bottom.
>
> Turnpike Man wrote:
> > --- Philip Buckley wrote:
> >
> <cut>, I have started thinking
> >>about going back and getting my teaching certificate so I can teach high
> >>school history, my first dream but one I put aside because it paid crap.
> >
> teaching is a 'calling' as much as being a doctor, nurse or preacher.
> I think the people who are excellent teachers are so because (1) they
> truly care about their job, responsibilities to their students, their
> direct affect on their students and (2) they love being a teacher.

ok, or just passion, whichever. :)

> <cut> I have been fortunate enough not to be laid off or fired, but I still
> feel
> > the pressures of this economy.  I currently work with Windows and Linux and
> > learn more about Linux everyday.  More importantly, I have made a
> realization,
> > same as Philip here is coming to find, him teaching, me trains.  Recently I
> > have found myself becoming more and more involved with trains.  Trains have
> > been a part of my life since my Dad got me a train set when I was 3 years
> old,
> > I'm 27 now.  I am currently an avid modeler, something I can take with me
> to my
> > death bed.  Trains have become embedded in my heart.
>
> It sounds like Trains may be your calling in life.

I am certainly thrilled that I may have a chance to find out!  :)

> <cut>
>  > I questioned about myself was this.  Am I in computers for the money and
> > because I find them easy, or am I in computers b/c I love them?  My answer
> was
> > simple.  I do not love computers.  Computers are simply a tool for me to
> use.
>
> I think I have found that high-tech in general: computers, networks,
> high-end telecom, etc are my calling. Design, development, test,
> installation, code or implementation. I 'am' alot of what I 'do'.
> I've found I cannot be very happy personally without satisfaction
> professionally. And I've found that I can be very miserable personally
> without professional satisfaction despite a healthy paycheck.
>
> My personal life has driven the direction of my professional life. I've
> had good jobs, bad jobs, been laid off and survived.
>
> > Will I take a salary hit, most certainly, is it worth it?

the answer was within my context... meaning if you do what you love, pay is
insignificant (to a point, one must survive)

> I didn't see your answer here. Is it worth it?
>
> To me it is. Once you've acheived a sufficient salary, it's more important
> to me to be happy. However, I don't like feeling used/abused as employers
> stringently focused on profit are wont to do... Employees are not
> replaceable parts to be purchased for the cheapest price on the market.
>
> Speaking for myself, it can be real frustrating seeing people who use their
> knowledge and skills (or image of such) advance over those who share my
> passion.
>
>  >
> > Wouldn't you want to
> > love your job instead of hate it?
> >
> > However, when I leave IT, I will not leave computers behind.  I will
> continue
> > to be an active TriLUG member, as much as the railroad's 24/7 on call
> status
> > will allow.  I will continue to learn more about Linux and maintain my own
> > network, security and websites.  In a strange kinda way, my hobby is about
> > become my career, and my career is about to become my hobby.  Funny isn't
> it?
> > Yet, my love for trains is so strong, that even working for the railroad
> will
> > not take away my enjoyment of the modeling hobby.  Not only that, I'll wake
> up
> > daily ready and glad to be going to work.
> >
> <cut>
> > I enjoy providing support and
> > teaching users how to be more efficient in what they do.
>
> me too!

this does make a person feel good to know that we have passed on the knowledge

> > Education is your
> > best weapon in today's society.  Teaching empowers.
>
> Why should education be used as a weapon?
> Education can be nothing more than a tool for advancement or it can be an
> end unto itself - education for the pure enjoyment of the knowledge and
> learning itself.
>
> Education does allow potential for advancement in society. It has both a
> financial potential and an aesthetic potential. A general education exposes
> you to much of the reality we share. If you're lucky you'll find something
> you enjoy and can earn a living with it. But I don't think education should
> be thought of as tool for advancement at the expense of others (a weapon).

ER??  Your response here is the one that really threw me off.  I have no
intention of wanting somone to be educated such that they can come over and
kick my ass, in whatever way that may be.  Education prevents people from being
snookered.  maybe defense would have been a better word for my context, not
sure.  You may now follow my point, or not, not sure, but I tried.

> I know life is hard, but there is enough to do out there that we don't have
> to resort to killing each other. I also recognize this is the real world and
> everyone is in their unique situation. And it's real fucking hard to be
> altruistic when you don't have food or money to pay the bills. Maybe I'm too
> soft, and you'll notice I've expressed frustration at other's advances - so
> I'm not immune to this either.
>
> However as a BSEE, previous and current employee, cancer survivor, RHCE,
> coporation owner, and hopefully MCS CSC (in a couple of years) - I've got to
> tell you how I feel about it:
>
> (0) life's way too short to be miserable.
>
> (1) If you're not lucky enough to have a job/career you enjoy or love - you
> should be moving yourself toward that goal.
>
> (2) Eduacation empowers individuals to learn and to learn to control their
> own
> destiny to get by in the world. Teaching can give students this education.
>
> (3) Your education can be repaid by sharing (teaching) what you've learned
> (OSS/FSF/Linux).
> Or your education can be used almost purely to your own benefit (M$).
>
> Good luck everyone!
>
> - Frank.
>
> stronger-than-expected-rant/
>

> > Good luck Philip!
> > David M.

>   lfwelty at nc.rr.com: Earth is a beta site, I just wish that damn
>                      pink elephant would give me my mouse back.

odd response/

laters,
David M.