[TriLUG] OT (I complied) Employed/Unemployed Poll -- on and on and on...

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Mon Jun 16 12:55:57 EDT 2003

On Monday, Jun 16, 2003, at 12:35 US/Eastern, Chris Bullock wrote:

> When you guys say you are unemployed, does this mean you are
> unemployed as in not working, or unemployed as in not employed doing
> what you want to do.  I can't see where there are NO jobs for people.
> Don't mean to cause anger but it may not be what you want but there
> has to be jobs out there.  Not working in IT is better than sitting at
> home without a check coming in.

Wish it were that simple.  When I was getting unemployment benefits
from the state, I was effectively making a certain amount per hour
(assuming a stock 40 hour work week.)  That amount was greater than
many of the jobs that I could have gotten.  It was more than any "would
you like fries with that" job, and when you consider tax withholdings,
it even beat what a computer-repair/upgrade technician makes at most
local shops.

Couple that with searching for a job being a full-time job in and of
itself, and it's hard to justify taking on a menial job.  Especially,
if that job won't make ends meet, but will consume all job hunting
hours.

jf
--
John Franklin