[TriLUG] OT? - RR now blocking email from dynamic IPs...

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Mon Jun 16 20:51:20 EDT 2003

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 06:08 PM, Steve Williams wrote:

> For this reason, RR offers dial access - you can send outbound mail
> through
> the RR servers if you are dialed up through the RR dial access system.

Not a good substitute.  Broadband access is ubiquitous now.  A laptop
user should be able configure their laptop for 'DHCP' and have it just
work wherever they go.  Having to use a different mail server just
because they are coming from a different network is stupid.  Telling a
customer to dial in to check mail when there is a perfectly good T3 at
the office is moronic.  Giving a customer one set of settings that will
work both in and outside of the TW network is the smart thing to do,
and not all that difficult.

TW has some smart people working for them (Hi, Ben) but sometimes I
wonder how badly their hands are tied by management.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
"From the Fury of the Norsemen please Deliver us, Oh Lord"