[TriLUG] Slightly OT: "feeling thermometer" in HTML

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Tue Jun 17 10:24:35 EDT 2003

Sorry if this is too far afield. I'm working on a page for a survey we're
about to start administering.  One of the questions is:

"Please indicate on the following scale where you feel the value of using
the internet to gather informatino is compared to using the internet to
communicate with others. The middle of the scale indicates an even
balance, the far left indicates a stronger value for gathering
information, and the far right indicates a stronger value for
communicating with others."

0..........................50.........................100
gathering                                      communicating
information                                    with others

The protocol for the survey requires that it be available both online and
in its paper form, and the paper form is the "master", so I can't change
the question form. Can anyone suggest a good way to implement this in HTML
(even better, from within perl CGI.pm)?  Clearly 100 radio buttons will
spill over beyond one line.  I'm open to nearly any suggestion, but of
course it must be browser-independent (within the domain of graphical
browsers) and able to be served by a debian/apache server.

Thanks for any advice,
Andy