[TriLUG] OT (I complied) Employed/Unemployed Poll -- on and on and on...

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Wed Jun 18 12:43:35 EDT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:35:45 Chris Bullock <cgbullock at cox.net> wrote:

> When you guys say you are unemployed, does this mean you are unemployed
> as in not working, or unemployed as in not employed doing what you want
> to do.  I can't see where there are NO jobs for people.  Don't mean to
> cause anger but it may not be what you want but there has to be jobs out
> there.  Not working in IT is better than sitting at home without a check
> coming in.
> --chris

Actually it does mean "there are no jobs".  The service industry (retail,
landscaping, hospitality, construction, etc...) is all that is hiring
right now -- and most with caveats and specific skill requirements.  If
you have a bad back, or any medical problem that prevents you from lifting
weight or doing heavy labor, forget it.

I just got a job at Radio Shack: part time (20 hrs), minimum wage.  It
costs more to go to work than to not work (uniforms, commute, shoes, other
expenses).  $20 a day for 4 days a week is not going to pay the bills.
(Guess I won't be staying there very long)

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA