[TriLUG] OT (I complied) Employed/Unemployed Poll -- on and on and on...

John Turner jdturner at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 13:29:08 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 12:43  PM, Scott G. Hall wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:35:45 Chris Bullock <cgbullock at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> When you guys say you are unemployed, does this mean you are
>> unemployed
>> as in not working, or unemployed as in not employed doing what you
>> want
>> to do.  I can't see where there are NO jobs for people.  Don't mean to
>> cause anger but it may not be what you want but there has to be jobs
>> out
>> there.  Not working in IT is better than sitting at home without a
>> check
>> coming in.
>> --chris
>

> Actually it does mean "there are no jobs".  The service industry
> (retail,
> landscaping, hospitality, construction, etc...) is all that is hiring
> right now -- and most with caveats and specific skill requirements.  If
> you have a bad back, or any medical problem that prevents you from
> lifting
> weight or doing heavy labor, forget it.

There were IT jobs listed in the N&O last few Sundays (and they even
looked like real jobs - i.e. not just a general call for resumes). It
looks like Locked Martin is renewing their EPA contracts so there might
be an opening or two there. If you are still looking I would search
some of the state government job sites and county sites, the new budget
year starts in a few weeks so they have the money now.

Good luck all.
John