[TriLUG] re: Sendmail question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 14:41:59 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 12:42, Tom Raleigh wrote:
> Thanks Dave and Jon for your responses.
>
> Here is the content of the /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> domain yyy.com
> nameserver 192.168.123.123
>
> (The IP address 192.168.123.123 is the correct IP for DNS server.)
>
> When i issued the command: nslookup -sil set q=mx yyy.com, I got
> "connection timed out: No servers could be reached" error.

Dude!

I hope you did the three commands on separate lines:
   nslookup      (you don't really need the -sil)
     set q=mx    (set it to look for mail host info)
     yyy.com     (look up the mail host for yyy.com)

If that results in "No servers could be reached" error, then try:
  ping yyy.com
(or some hostname that is *not* in your /etc/hosts file)

If that doesn't work, then you are not getting any dns calls off your
box.
- Recheck /etc/resolve.conf and make sure it is working.
- Recheck the DNS box and make sure it is responding to requests (from a
different box).
- drop your firewall rules and test again.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes

> I am surprised because sendmail server and DNS server are on the same
> AS21 box now.  Telnet to localhost 25 is OK with the welcome message
> appearing just fine.

That means that Sendmail is accepting local connections - which is fine,
and I think we already knew that.  The problem is in getting DNS
information into Sendmail so that it can find the mailhost for the
yyy.com domain.