[TriLUG] win4lin5 install hangs

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Wed Jun 18 19:10:19 EDT 2003

Is there a GUI way to go on that El Torito thang?  I'd dearly love to
make bootable CDs yet am too lazy to create a 650 MB partition and edit
machine code for the boot bits.  Any help gratefully appreciated.

> I don't think the generic kernel will work. I tried that with
> my install and it was a no go. If you do try it, I hope it
> works for you! :)

Generic kernel definitely a no-can-do.  However, loading rh-9, updates
and then win4lin apparently produces different results than compiling a
custom kernel.  The altered win4lin kernel that loads using the
aforementioned method may be the root cause for failure.

I have yet to try creating a custom patched kernel mainly because I am
ignorant regarding the correct procedure.