[TriLUG] X won't start

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Thu Jun 19 11:27:55 EDT 2003

I have a RH9 system with troubles.
Actually it belongs to a co-worker who made the switch from MS just a
week ago.  He has been logging in as root in runlevel 5 to do everything
since he was accustomed to logging in as Administrator in Win2k.  How'd
that go you ask?  Not too good!!!

He rebooted for some reason this morning and his "GUI is broken" now he
says.  I had him bring it up in run level 3 and he was able to see a
message like: could not open default font 'fixed'

A ps revealed that xfs was indeed running on port 7100.
A google of this string didn't produce useful results - nor did a search
on the Redhat site where I have a basic support account.

I bet this is simple - but its new territory for me.
Any ideas?

--
Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com>
Global Knowledge