[TriLUG] Web again: do something, then close browser

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu Jun 19 16:00:59 EDT 2003

I appreciate the concern, but don't think it's warranted in this case.
The issue is this: although it's a minority of people, there are people
who belong to numerous organizations. We need to capture those people and
all the organizations they want to report to us.  So the main page of the
survey has a six-row table, which should fit the (vast) majority of
respondents; the national mean is about 3.7.  But for those with more than
six, I provide a link for them to click, at the bottom of the table, that
opens a secondary browser to let them add more, then let them close it
again.  They can then continue with the rest of the survey.

Of course I won't close the browser they originally came to the survey
with.

By the way, these are respondents who choose to participate in the survey
-- not those who randomly get to it or who come to the site expecting
something else.

Other design tips would be welcome, though. I'm not wedded to the
new-browser-then-close idea, just couldn't think of anything simpler.

Best,

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu