[TriLUG] Syslog.conf help

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jun 19 23:56:57 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 22:00, bp wrote:
> I've been at google and the man pages some but still don't quite see
> what I'm looking for.
>
> I have an WAP that can send it's logs to a remote loghost.  I'd like to
> setup my linux box to accept these log messages and store them in
> /var/log/apmessages.  I think I can config syslog.conf to do all this,
> just haven't found the how yet.
>
> Anyone have a good primer or such a config or a good HOW-TO page?
>
> -bp

The syslogd daemon can be started with the "-r" option which tells the
daemon to listen for incoming syslog messages. The port it listens on is
514 and the protocol it accepts is UDP.
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-138.html

Explaination of Remote Syslog
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~westrant/symlink/pages/HoneynetDocs/remote-syslog.htm

Complete Reference Guide to Creating a Remote Log Server
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-64.html