[TriLUG] Employed/Unemployed Poll

Doug Taggart lug at blackwizard.net
Fri Jun 20 23:32:07 EDT 2003

Philip,

I am not out of work, BUT I'm working a different sort of job than I
would really like to be.
Thought I'd mention it to you since I think you're considering teaching
if I read this thread right.

I work for a federal program called "Troops to Teachers", but I used to
work at a company called
RCN which you may have heard of up in Boston ;).   I worked at the call
center in Springfield MA
on the commercial internet side of the house doing application
development support (read liaison between developers, end-users and
business managers) until July of last year when I quit my job and moved
to this area, much like you're considering doing this July (or are).  I
knew the market was bad here, but I didn't know HOW bad.

I found it difficult to get work here in telecommunications or the
computer industry.  A lot of the headhunters wouldn't even call me back.
 In fact I didn't have any work at all until using "Temporary Solutions"
which is a government temp agency which placed me consistently into new
assignments after the others ended (not great jobs mind you, data-entry,
secretarial work.. survival really).  I eventually "fell" into the
Troops program and found it a good fit for my personality.  Effectively
I'm a recruiter for teaching now.

If you happen to be ex-military, are seriously considering teaching,
give me a buzz at work next week.
There are federal incentives to teach today if you are a veteran with
the right qualifications.
If you're not a veteran, I still might be able to provide some insight
on what's involved for you entering education
as a history teacher.

My wife's father is a carpenter up in Boston. heh.

919-807-3346

Doug Taggart