[TriLUG] O.T., but interesting (SCO Protest)

rob wildermann alteran at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 23 14:11:37 EDT 2003

--- Joseph Tate <jtate at dragonstrider.com> wrote:

> Not so much, no.  Canopy is first and foremost a VC firm.  They
> originally funded Caldera, as well as Lineo (which broke off from
> Caldera and is now defunct, and it looks like some assets may have
> been  bought up by MetroWerks), and Linux Networx (a clustering
> company) and  are currently funding Mi-Co (the company I work for).
> I don't think  they're behind this (though I'm sure they have plenty
> of stock ownership in SCO/Caldera).

Well, for an VC company, they sure like to play games with IP.

This following link is to Forbes, hopefully they're unslashdot-enough
for you. While the Canopy Group et al MAY have a number of nice folks
earning paychecks, it is clear that they also specialize in the kind of
money-grubbing IP exploitation that the spirit of open source software
is so very much against.

http://www.forbes.com/2003/06/18/cz_dl_0618linux.html

>I'm tired of unsubstantiated garbage going across this list.

Now it's substantiated. Glad to be of service. :-)

--rob wildermann

=====
--rob wildermann
alteran AT yahoo DOT com