[TriLUG] OT: winmail.dat

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Thu Jun 26 09:37:23 EDT 2003

Combining..

> There's a command-line decoder at http://sourceforge.net/projects/tnef/
> that can be used by either an admin or a user to decode the nasty little
> buggers.

The tnef package is used by mailscanner (http://www.mailscanner.info), which
has been one of the happiest changes I've made to a MTA server in a while.
(Thanks, Alchemist!)

> What about all the PGP keys I see at the bottom of emails coming
> into my client from the list.
> [snip]
> Are they more acceptable than winmail.dat??

In the sense that 'we can do things with them on either platform with
 software that ships by default,' yes.

In the sense of 'Does every message needs to be verified as unaltered'
 and 'people haven't learned self control in using it' and 'WHERE is
 your public key so the signature does me any good,' no.