[TriLUG] clock skew boot message and submit.cf inconsistency

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sat Jun 28 23:14:59 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 11:27, Jim Ray wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 10:57, Magnus wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like you need to set up ntpd.  It's easy.  These steps assume
> > you're running Red Hat Linux but can be adapted to work with other
> > distros.  You need to do these as root.
>
> er, actually, we're talking about a new rh-9 install w/ ntpd configured
> from the get go.

Yeah, Chris's discussion didn't take into account the Ntp setup that's
included in Red Hat Linux 9.  The 'proper' way to configure NTP and the
date/time configuration is to run the 'redhat-config-date' utility,
which is available from the 'start' menu, System Setttings, Date &
Time.  (The time zone in there should already be correct, since we
happen to live in the same timezone as the default for RHL.  Isn't that
handy?  ;-)

But the stuff about services was right on the money.  There's a nice
graphical tool to configure services, too, in that System Settings
folder also.

The stuff about submit.cf has to do with your sendmail configuration.
Did you adjust your sendmail settings?  Did you remember to make the
changes in both sendmail.mc and submit.mc, and run the 'make' command in
/etc/mail to recreate the sendmail.cf and submit.cf files?

HTH,
--Jeremy