[TriLUG] Grub configuration file

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Jun 30 05:39:58 EDT 2003

[Not speaking for Red Hat at the moment, just as a satisfied user for
5+ years]

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 11:37:52PM -0400, Tanner Lovelace spoke thusly:
> Thanks Jason.  That still doesn't answer my question as to why
> redhat felt the need to modify the default configuration filename
> which is /boot/grub/menu.lst.  Is it just a way to make the RHCE
> tests harder or are they trying to differentiate their distribution?
> If they're going to put a symlink from /etc/grub.conf there's absolutely
> no reason at all to change the name (the symlink will happily point
> to a different name).  From where I sit, it just looks like RH is
> trying to make more work for the grub maintainers (who now have
> to deal with bug reports about things that RH changed).

Sorry, I've got to back Katz on this one - and not just because I work
in the same building. When I first encountered GRUB a few years back,
the *FIRST* thing that confused me was the configuration file. "Wait"
I thought "what the heck is 'menu.lst' supposed to mean?" (Hey, at
least I figured out why it was in /boot/grub without any help)

To me, calling the configuration file for grub "grub.conf" made
sense. Kind of like "dhcp.conf" and "yp.conf" - the config file
matches the program. It's a lot easier to remember. and causes fewer
questions from new users - both for us and the grub maintainers. And
since menu.lst is left as a symlink to grub.conf, it's perfectly docs
compliant.

That's a trivial thing. The /etc/grub.conf symlink (yeah, it's a
symlink because if /etc and /boot are different file-systems, having
the file in /etc gets ugly) is just gravy.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --