[TriLUG] Grub configuration file

Ken Wahl ken at kenwahl.org
Mon Jun 30 09:57:51 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 11:24:46PM -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 09:31, Chris Knowles wrote:
>
> > The file you are looking for is probably /etc/grub.conf
>
> Has redhat actually moved the grub configuration file from
> where it should be at /boot/grub/menu.lst to /etc/grub.conf?!?
> Even if Chris misspoke and it's /boot/grub.conf why does
> redhat feel the need to change a perfectly good default?

On my RH 9 box the actual grub config file is /boot/grub/grub.conf and
there are *2* symlinks pointing to it:
/boot/grub/menu.lst
/etc/grub.conf

I didn't add these myself.

I actually like this RedHat-ism.  I think they changed it to make it
more intuitive and because of the symlinks, did it without breaking
anything or making it unusable to a person who is accustomed to the
default layout.

$.02

--
Ken Wahl  ken at kenwahl.org  http://www.kenwahl.org